Skip to main content

Day 13: Vatican City!



On the thirteenth day of our journey, we toured the amazing Vatican City...the smallest country in the world! I was VERY excited about seeing it. The Vatican has everything it needs to function on its own - a fire station, grocer, post office, etc., etc. It's completely independent. A giant wall separates the Vatican from the city of Rome. I think our guide told us that there is enough gold inside the Vatican to bring the entire country of India out of poverty...pretty staggering, huh?
Part of the wall that separates the Vatican from the city of Rome.
We met up with our tour group first thing that morning at a little place called Ris Cafe. Brad got an espresso while we waited for everyone else to get there. Once we were all there, we headed over and entered through the Vatican Museum. Brad and I were so happy that we decided to take part in a guided tour...it was worth every penny. We got so much out of the tour and learned so many things. The coolest story was about The Statue of Laocoon and His Sons. It was discovered randomly in a field one day...buried in the ground. The statue was complete except for a missing elbow. The elbow was later found in an antique mall...how amazing is that? I know I'd love to come across something like that!!! Another neat story was about a huge bronze statue of Hercules. The statue was struck by lightning, so it was buried immediately deep beneath the ground because the Romans were very superstitious. The outside of the crate explained why it had been buried. Because of this, it's one of the most well-preserved bronze statues in Rome. It was protected from the elements for so long and did not tarnish like the others. I also LOVED seeing Raphael's "The School of Athens" and Michelangelo's "Pieta" in St. Peter's Basilica. The cathedral and piazza were also gorgeous....not to mention the Sistine Chapel...oh my goodness. I could go on and on about the Vatican!
"Laocoon and His Sons"
There's the bronze statue of Hercules on the right...and yes, that's a massive, purple marble bath tub in the center of the room...
"The School of Athens" - Raphael
"Belvedere Torso"

The ceiling of the Sistine Chapel...Gorgeous!


The Swiss Guard
By the time we were done there, we were starving. It was way past lunch time, so we consulted our Rome guide book for a good restaurant recommendation. We found a great little spot called Dal Toscano. Our food was absolutely delicious!!! All of the food in Italy was so wonderful. I ordered the homemade ravioli filled with ricotta and spinach, and Brad had the mezzemaniche pasta with eggplant and ricotta cheese....YUM.
"Ravioli Caserecci al Pomodoro"
(Homemade ravioli filled with ricotta cheese and spinach)
"Mezze Maniche alle Melanzane e Ricotta Marzotica"
(Mezzemaniche pasta with eggplant and ricotta cheese)

After our late lunch, we went on our way towards the Pantheon. What a cool place! We had quite the experience trying to get there. After walking for a while, we decided to hop on the bus and try to get there quicker. Gosh...we had no idea what we were doing...it was HILARIOUS! We missed our stop and ended up riding all over the place. We met a nice family from San Diego who had done the exact same thing...We all had a good laugh at ourselves.
The Pantheon!

After seeing the Pantheon, we just roamed around Rome for a little while...hahahaha. It is SUCH a fun and exciting city! There is such an incredibly large amount of things to see and do. We ended up going to see another of Bernini's famous fountains - The Fountain of the Four Rivers. It is beautiful!!! A major scene in Dan Brown's book, Angels & Demons, takes place at that fountain...look for it in the movie that comes out this month! While we were at the fountain, we got some roasted chestnuts from a street vendor. There's nothing like walking arm-in-arm with your hubby in Rome, eating roasted chestnuts and sitting by a famous Bernini fountain...AHH...such wonderful, amazing memories!!! After the fountain, we walked back by the Colosseum again....only this time, it was night! The Colosseum is just unbelievably pretty all lit up at night!
"The Fountain of the Four Rivers" - Bernini
A delicious, roasted chestnut...
The Colosseum at night....

Next, we stopped and had dinner at Wanted....WOW...it was DELISH. We started the meal with a perfectly fresh Caprese Salad. For our main course, we each had a pasta dish. I went with the "Tortellini Panna e Prosciutto"...no surprise there! Brad ordered the "Rigatoni alla Carbonara". We washed it all down with a wonderful Barbera D'Alba red wine. It was yet another scrumptious meal!
Caprese Salad...
"Rigatoni alla Carbonara"
(Rigatoni with eggs, bacon and cheese)

"Tortellini Panna e Prosciutto"
(Tortellini with cream and ham)

Comments

This is the post I've been waiting for! The picture of you in the Sisting Chapel is awesome. What precious memories for you.
2 weeks from today... I'll be there!!!
Memória said…
Ugh! I wish I would have gone to Roma instead of Firenze! It is so beautiful! The rigatoni and tortellini dishes look so scrumptious!!
Elizabeth said…
I'm a little jealous - Rome is my favorite place ever. How did you get pictures of the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel? I thought they didn't allow photos.
Kristen said…
This is all amazing! Thank you for sharing. Did you book all of this through a travel agent? I'm intresting in a planning a trip for next summer with my husband and have no idea how to get started?

Popular posts from this blog

Absolutely Sinful Cinnamon Rolls

***Alrighty, here are the cinnamon rolls that I mentioned in my previous post. I put these together on Christmas Eve, and then baked them on Christmas morning. Let me just tell you...there's nothing quite like the smell of yummy cinnamon rolls wafting through the house on Christmas morning...ahhhhh...so wonderful! This is going to be a new tradition for us...fresh, homemade rolls on Christmas. I thought that I might try this recipe, and then maybe try a new one next year...until I found one that I really loved. However, I hit the jackpot on the first try! This is THE recipe that I'll always use. UPDATE:   Since originally writing this post in 2008, I've  made these cinnamon rolls every year for Christmas!  They are a holiday tradition that my family looks forward to all year!  You can see my other posts here, with lots more photos of these sinful cinnamon rolls: CHRISTMAS 2009 CHIRSTMAS 2010 CHRISTMAS 2011 The great thing was that I could prepare them on Christmas

My Favorite Quiche!

***It's not often that a recipe is worthy of re-posting.  I think I've only done that once or twice in the entire time I've written this blog.  However, this is one of those rare occasions.  Back in 2009 when Brad and I went to Europe, we had the most amazing Quiche Lorraine at the incredible Les Deux Magots cafe in Paris.  It was delicious and was served alongside a yummy salad of fresh greens (Quiche Lorraine sur Salade Verte).  Oh, it was heaven on a plate!  It also didn't hurt that we were sitting on the patio of one of the most famous cafes in Paris, after all...haha.  The atmosphere and people-watching in that particular area are hard to beat. I'll never forget the elderly lady that was sitting at the table right next to us (the tables were situated pretty close together).  She was dressed to-the-nines, was all by herself, and was just the quintessential, classy Parisian lady.  I wish more than anything that I had tried to strike up a conversation with her

Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread - Southern Living

***There seriously aren't very many things that smell better than Banana Nut Bread baking in the oven.   Don't you agree?  This recipe for Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread from Southern Living magazine was one of the very first recipes that I added to this blog...back in November 2007!  In fact, I came across it when I worked for the magazine as a Marketing Intern.  Back then, I didn't have a photo for every recipe, and the blog post was simply the recipe and nothing else.  Because this is my go-to recipe for Banana Nut Bread (and because it is so amazing!), I thought that it deserved a little more attention.  This is quite honestly some of the best Banana Nut Bread that I've ever had.  An entire 8oz. package of cream cheese is added right to the batter, along with 4 mashed bananas.  The cream cheese adds so much to this recipe, with an incredibly moist texture being the main component.  Plus, the roasted pecans are the perfect addition.  Roasting the nuts brings out