Skip to main content

Fresh Orange, Coconut & Pecan Cake



***Every year, Brad's mom gives me a new "birthday cake challenge" for her birthday.  This year, she requested a cake that combined orange, pecan and coconut flavors.  It sounded like a perfectly decadent cake for these hot summer days, so I was excited for the new challenge.

I searched the internet and my collection of cookbooks for inspiration.  I came across THIS recipe over at "Your Homebased Mom" and thought it looked like the perfect place to start.  It even won a blue ribbon at a fair once, so it sounded really promising!

The only change that I made was to the icing.  The original recipe already included wonderful orange flavors, but the coconut and pecans still needed to make an appearance somehow.  I added both the shredded coconut and pecans directly into the icing recipe.   The pecans ended up really making this cake over-the-top delicious.  They brought the entire cake together, and the combination of flavors was incredible.

My sisters, Suzanne and Maranne, were in town to help me make this cake.  We had a lot of fun in the kitchen whipping this up.  We were wrestling with the idea of whether or not to color ALL of the frosting with orange food coloring, or to just leave it out.  Suzanne had the brilliant idea to only color the icing that would go in between the two layers.  This ended up being perfect, because there was a pretty orange burst of color when we cut into the cake.  I sure wish I had a photo of the cake after it was cut!  The fresh orange rind and pecan pieces also look gorgeous in the icing...they add pretty little flecks of color that make the cake irresistible looking!

You'll love this cake...The bright & sunny flavors are PERFECT for a bright & sunny summer day!

Bon Appetit!***



Fresh California Orange Cake

Ingredients:
1/3 C butter
1/3 C shortening
2 tsp grated orange rind
1 1/2 C sugar
3 eggs
2 1/2 C sifted cake flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 C fresh orange juice less 2 Tbsp
2 Tbsp orange juice concentrate

Directions:
Cream together butter, shortening and rind.  Very gradually add sugar, creaming until light.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.  Continue beating 5 minutes.

Sift together dry ingredients and add alternately with orange juice to creamed mixture.  Add in orange juice concentrate.  Beat only until smooth after each addition.

Bake in 2 greased and floured 9 inch round pans at 350 for 25-30 minutes.  Cool 10minutes on rack and then remove from pans and cool.

Fill and frost with Creamy Orange Frosting.

You can also add tinted orange coconut (recipe below), if you want to add a little extra decoration. 

Creamy Orange Frosting
***I doubled the recipe below, so that we'd have plenty of frosting***
1/2 C butter
1 3 oz. pkg cream cheese
1 pound powdered sugar, sifted
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
2 tsp grated orange rind
dash salt
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup pecan halves, cut into tiny pieces or processed in a food processor
orange food coloring (I only colored a portion of the icing for the middle of the cake)

Directions:
Cream butter and cream cheese in a stand mixer.  Gradually beat in sugar alternately with orange juice beating until smooth.

Stir in orange rind, coconut, pecans and salt.  Add a drop or two of orange food coloring to tint a light orange, if desired.  Beat until creamy.

Tinted Orange Coconut (I left this out, and added coconut directly into the icing)
1 C flaked coconut
1 tsp orange juice
1 or 2 drops orange food coloring

Directions:
Combine coconut, orange juice and food color.  Shake or stir with a fork.  Coconut should be lightly colored to match frosting.

Comments

MarieElizabeth said…
This looks like all kinds of delicious. I might have to make this when I get a few vacation days off.

Popular posts from this blog

Absolutely Sinful Cinnamon Rolls

***Alrighty, here are the cinnamon rolls that I mentioned in my previous post. I put these together on Christmas Eve, and then baked them on Christmas morning. Let me just tell you...there's nothing quite like the smell of yummy cinnamon rolls wafting through the house on Christmas morning...ahhhhh...so wonderful! This is going to be a new tradition for us...fresh, homemade rolls on Christmas. I thought that I might try this recipe, and then maybe try a new one next year...until I found one that I really loved. However, I hit the jackpot on the first try! This is THE recipe that I'll always use. UPDATE:   Since originally writing this post in 2008, I've  made these cinnamon rolls every year for Christmas!  They are a holiday tradition that my family looks forward to all year!  You can see my other posts here, with lots more photos of these sinful cinnamon rolls: CHRISTMAS 2009 CHIRSTMAS 2010 CHRISTMAS 2011 The great thing was that I could prepare them on Christmas

My Favorite Quiche!

***It's not often that a recipe is worthy of re-posting.  I think I've only done that once or twice in the entire time I've written this blog.  However, this is one of those rare occasions.  Back in 2009 when Brad and I went to Europe, we had the most amazing Quiche Lorraine at the incredible Les Deux Magots cafe in Paris.  It was delicious and was served alongside a yummy salad of fresh greens (Quiche Lorraine sur Salade Verte).  Oh, it was heaven on a plate!  It also didn't hurt that we were sitting on the patio of one of the most famous cafes in Paris, after all...haha.  The atmosphere and people-watching in that particular area are hard to beat. I'll never forget the elderly lady that was sitting at the table right next to us (the tables were situated pretty close together).  She was dressed to-the-nines, was all by herself, and was just the quintessential, classy Parisian lady.  I wish more than anything that I had tried to strike up a conversation with her

Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread - Southern Living

***There seriously aren't very many things that smell better than Banana Nut Bread baking in the oven.   Don't you agree?  This recipe for Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread from Southern Living magazine was one of the very first recipes that I added to this blog...back in November 2007!  In fact, I came across it when I worked for the magazine as a Marketing Intern.  Back then, I didn't have a photo for every recipe, and the blog post was simply the recipe and nothing else.  Because this is my go-to recipe for Banana Nut Bread (and because it is so amazing!), I thought that it deserved a little more attention.  This is quite honestly some of the best Banana Nut Bread that I've ever had.  An entire 8oz. package of cream cheese is added right to the batter, along with 4 mashed bananas.  The cream cheese adds so much to this recipe, with an incredibly moist texture being the main component.  Plus, the roasted pecans are the perfect addition.  Roasting the nuts brings out