Skip to main content

Butternut Squash Casserole


Here in Alabama, the days are getting shorter, the air is becoming cooler, and the leaves are starting to turn beautiful shades of red, orange and yellow...Fall is in the air!  What better way to welcome the new season than with a deliciously comforting Butternut Squash Casserole?

I found some beautiful butternut squash at James' produce stand near my house a few weeks ago.   James told me about the delicious Butternut Squash Casserole that his wife had made a few nights earlier.  That sounded like an amazing idea to me, so I started looking up recipes online.  I came across the following recipe over at Ezra Pound Cake, which sounded awesome.  I had most of what I needed on-hand, and I improvised the rest.  I've marked my changes in bold type below...There were really only a few of them.

I must say that this has earned a spot in the "Home for the Holidays" tab, because it tastes just like Thanksgiving to me!  It would be the perfect substitute for Sweet Potato Casserole if you wanted to switch things up a bit this holiday season.

However, don't wait for a special occasion or holiday to try this one...It's WAY too yummy!

Bon Appetit!

Butternut Squash Casserole
Adapted from Ezra Pound Cake
  • 3 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cut in 1/4-inch-thick slices (about 6 cups)
  • 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for the pan
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 large yellow onions, trimmed, peeled and chopped (about 3 cups)
  • 1 cup whole or low-fat buttermilk (I used regular whole milk)
  • 2 large eggs, beaten
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
  • 1/2 cup bread crumbs, toasted (I used whole wheat Ritz crackers, smashed into crumbs)
  • 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup pecans, toasted and roughly chopped
  • 2 cups coarsely grated cheddar cheese (I used a mixture of mozzarella and cheddar)
  • Optional: 4 to 6 large handfuls of fresh spinach, washed and stemmed (add to the same water as the squash in step 2 during the last minute of boiling)
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a 9-x-13-inch baking dish or  4-quart casserole.
  2. Place 3 quarts water in a large stockpot and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the squash to the water, return to a boil, and cook for 6 minutes. The squash will turn a deeper orange. Drain it and set aside.
  3. Melt the butter in the stockpot and add the oil. Add the onions and sauté over medium-low heat until translucent and limp, about 8 minutes, stirring to prevent browning. Add the warm squash and the buttermilk, eggs, thyme, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, 1/4 cup pecans and 1 1/3 cups cheese. Blend with a wooden spoon or spatula until the ingredients are well combined.
  4. Spread the mixture evenly in the baking dish. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup pecans and 2/3 cup cheese. Bake 15 minutes more. Remove from the oven and serve immediately.

Comments

I love butterut sqash... but have always roasted it.
Now I will have to try your squash casserole!
The Smiths said…
Made this tonight and it was so yummy and easy to make! Thanks for the great recipe. Definitely a keeper!(You say pecans in your ingredients but then say pumpkin seeds in your directions, I used pecans because of what was in the picture.)
Celeste said…
The Smiths - Thanks so much for catching that! I revised the recipe to only include pecans. I'm so glad that you liked the casserole!! :)
Linda I said…
So delicious! My family loved it!!

Popular posts from this blog

Absolutely Sinful Cinnamon Rolls

***Alrighty, here are the cinnamon rolls that I mentioned in my previous post. I put these together on Christmas Eve, and then baked them on Christmas morning. Let me just tell you...there's nothing quite like the smell of yummy cinnamon rolls wafting through the house on Christmas morning...ahhhhh...so wonderful! This is going to be a new tradition for us...fresh, homemade rolls on Christmas. I thought that I might try this recipe, and then maybe try a new one next year...until I found one that I really loved. However, I hit the jackpot on the first try! This is THE recipe that I'll always use. UPDATE:   Since originally writing this post in 2008, I've  made these cinnamon rolls every year for Christmas!  They are a holiday tradition that my family looks forward to all year!  You can see my other posts here, with lots more photos of these sinful cinnamon rolls: CHRISTMAS 2009 CHIRSTMAS 2010 CHRISTMAS 2011 The great thing was that I could prepare them on Christmas

My Favorite Quiche!

***It's not often that a recipe is worthy of re-posting.  I think I've only done that once or twice in the entire time I've written this blog.  However, this is one of those rare occasions.  Back in 2009 when Brad and I went to Europe, we had the most amazing Quiche Lorraine at the incredible Les Deux Magots cafe in Paris.  It was delicious and was served alongside a yummy salad of fresh greens (Quiche Lorraine sur Salade Verte).  Oh, it was heaven on a plate!  It also didn't hurt that we were sitting on the patio of one of the most famous cafes in Paris, after all...haha.  The atmosphere and people-watching in that particular area are hard to beat. I'll never forget the elderly lady that was sitting at the table right next to us (the tables were situated pretty close together).  She was dressed to-the-nines, was all by herself, and was just the quintessential, classy Parisian lady.  I wish more than anything that I had tried to strike up a conversation with her

Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread - Southern Living

***There seriously aren't very many things that smell better than Banana Nut Bread baking in the oven.   Don't you agree?  This recipe for Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread from Southern Living magazine was one of the very first recipes that I added to this blog...back in November 2007!  In fact, I came across it when I worked for the magazine as a Marketing Intern.  Back then, I didn't have a photo for every recipe, and the blog post was simply the recipe and nothing else.  Because this is my go-to recipe for Banana Nut Bread (and because it is so amazing!), I thought that it deserved a little more attention.  This is quite honestly some of the best Banana Nut Bread that I've ever had.  An entire 8oz. package of cream cheese is added right to the batter, along with 4 mashed bananas.  The cream cheese adds so much to this recipe, with an incredibly moist texture being the main component.  Plus, the roasted pecans are the perfect addition.  Roasting the nuts brings out